Sunday, March 23, 2008

Kd-trees and De Stijl

In the search for the vocabulary (the means of defining the genotype and rules of morphogenesis - growth of phenotype) for my genetic houses, I came across the kd-trees.

It's a method of space partitioning, or, as architects would say, "organizing the space". It can be applied in 2-d space (e.g. floorplans) or 3-d space (e.g. complex spatial plans).

Nice thing about kd-trees is that space is organized with a very simple set of input parameters - set of points. Each point divides the space (in witch it's put) in two partitions; then new points are put in those partitions and so on.

I don't know whether Piet Mondrian (one of the founders of De Stijl) was familiar with kd-trees, but, at least to me, it looks fishy! :-)

I'm a bit reluctant about using the kd-trees as a driving vechile for my genetic house. While the Gerrit Rietveld's Schroeder house certainly looks good, I'm afraid that all of my houses would look the same - infinity variety of cubic forms. Very far from examples from nature.

If I'm dealing with the evolutionary computing, it would be far more appropriate to explore more organic forms and not to limit myself by the cubic partitioning of space.

No comments: