Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Interactive Voronoi






Today I merged my "interactive breeder", previously working only with cubic prisms, with 3d Voronoi structures. Wow, it took a long time to come to this point, I'm getting somewhere...

There are still some problems: 3d Voronoi structures don't look like architecture yet (see the first picture on the left).

One would, um, imagine that a structure should have some horizontal planes in order to be an architecture. People expect to have some horizontal places to move, dwell, work... in their houses.

I decided to merge two vocabularies to achieve that: the final structure would be generated by the Voronoi algorithm, but the points would be artificialy encouraged to take positions in cubic grids (see the last picture on the left).

Was I cheating a bit here? Yes. The (politically?) correct way would be to define another fitness function which would favor the subjects with as many horizontal planes as possible.

Maybe I'll do that some time. At this time, I'm exploring the interactive genetic algorithms (with a human selector). As you surely know, the concept of time exists because everything cannot happen at once :-)

I think I'll explore the following question in one of the future posts: to what extent the traits of a subject are defined by the evolutionary process itself and to what extent by other forces; enviroment, for example. A shark and a lion are both predators, but they look quite different. The evolution process is crucial in species development, but the environment takes a part of paramount importance, too.

No comments: